Monday, October 17, 2011

A Day to Remember

Today is my baby sister's birthday (well, one of my baby sisters).  I was almost nine when she was born and still into dolls, playing house and all things feminine.  I thought El was born for me to play with.  She was just about the same size as some of my dolls, but so much better.  She actually moved, cried, swallowed and needed to change clothes.  She had bright red hair and big blue eyes. She still has both but lighter highlights have replaced some of her lovely red strands. 

El had a bouncy chair that was upholstered in red and white stripe cabana fabric.  When ever mom put her in that chair her baby blues would immediately cross.  I would laugh every time it happened and often ask mom to put El in her bouncy seat just for my entertainment.  We didn't have personal game devices back in those days. So we used whatever was around the house... be it a deck of cards, piles of leaves in the yard, catalog paper dolls, color crayons, or baby sisters.

I took a picture of an old picture so the clarity is not that great, but you can still see the chubby cheeks on El's beautiful face.  I think she may have been about three or four years old.  I was still into playing with her, although she made it clear that she was her own person and that I no longer had complete control.


Happy Birthday El.  Thanks for being my favorite doll.


4. I am grateful for my comfortable bed that folded round me as I slept last night and the sweet song of the bird that called me from my slumber this morning.

I hope you have opportunity this day to remember something good from your childhood.  I hope your day gives you something good to remember tomorrow.  I hope you sleep well tonight and wake with a song tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment