Monday, December 5, 2011

Traditional, I'm Not

Many people say that Christmas is their favorite holiday.  Not me.  I like Thanksgiving.  I like falling leaves opposed to falling snow.  I'd much rather eat pumpkin pie than mincemeat.  I look forward to the Thanksgiving turkey much more than the Christmas ham.  And I think I like giving thanks better than giving someone more stuff.

I am not a "ho-humbug" though because Christmas also means time set apart to be with family and friends and I REALLY like that.  

Since I like to buck tradition and enjoy changing things up, I rarely decorate in the typical red and green motif. When I finally had to face the passing of Thanksgiving about a week ago, and dismantle the mantel......


......I wasn't sure how to Christmas it up. So I went to my decor closet and found as many candle sticks that I could and placed them on the mantel filling in with greenery and turquoise balls left over from another occasion. 

I sprinkled scented pine cones through out and placed a tiny blue bird on a evergreen branch to remind me of the soft, rhythmic sound of a baby breathing.  Wouldn't be Christmas without the baby.

I took down the grapevine wreath and replaced it with a blue star and called it finished.  I'm not sure if Santa would want to climb down our chimney or not, but He-man and I are okay if he flies on by.  He has a lot of stops to make and through our fifty some years we have been gifted  more than we can count.   Although we try to make a habit of listing a few every day.

27.  I am grateful for friends who gift me with a listening ear and an accepting heart.

I hope your Monday morn is better than you expect.  I hope you can say good by to the passing of one season in your life as you enter another.  I hope you dig around in the closet of yourself to find the gift of nontraditional beauty that you are.
 Yaya

No comments:

Post a Comment