Monday, June 20, 2011

Sendng You A Bluebird's Song

My thoughts have been with so many of my friends who are walking down rocky roads right now. 



My dear friend of twenty years has been struggling with mental health issues over the last three years.  She and I would meet for morning coffee every Tuesday.  We shared the joys and challenges of our lives so intimately that we developed an inner alarm that sounded when one of us needed to be contacted by the other.



But the misuse in her youth has set itself solid in her psyche, holding my friend captive to fear. Her daughter is trying to arrange the best possible care for her mom while taking care of her own family and attending to what her employer requires and maintaining relationships and all else that comes with living in this world.

A young mother is finding herself distanced from her own.  The attentive, giving, creative mother she has always known is not the mother she has right now.  Some how, some way, her mother has changed.  Pain inflicted her mother's heart when life pulled the rug out from under her feet.




I wonder if the pain of her fall was simply too much for her to bear so she didn't - bear it, I mean.  She just cut it off - shut it out- stuffed it down.  The only problem with that medication for pain is that it anaesthetises relationships as well.











A friend of my sisters is wading through the swampy waters of a disturbed marriage.  Her husband decided that he no longer wanted the life he had chosen with her more than a decade ago - the life that created two adorable, tree-climbing boys - the life that held first days of school, family vacations, Thanksgiving dinners and the unforgettable Christmas surprise.

She is now trying to piece her life back together in a way that will continue to give her boys what they need in a family and what they voice in their prayers.






So to J.A., G. J., T.A. and K.G. I send you my love.  I wish I could make the pain go away and the fear subside and the challenges decrease and the joy return.  But I can't and I'm not even sure that I should.  After walking my own bumpy roads and reaching the other side, I know the tremendous gift awaiting you if you can travel the road to it's receiving.







So in the meantime I will sing the song Bluebird sings to Little Miss Boo. 

"Never fear, We are here.  We believe in you.  We love you.  We are here to help you.  Never fear, we are here."


1 comment: