Tuesday, November 1, 2011

LISTEN




I was waiting for a friend, drinking a yummy cup of Hazelnut coffee as only Panera can brew, and reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, when I was overtaken by the energy I was feeling.  I stopped reading and listened to the many conversations that were encircling my booth.  

 
I raised my eyes from the paragraph I had read three times and looked around me.  At every table, in every booth and behind the counter people were engaged in conversation.  


I use the word, "engaged" because that is the energy I was feeling -- people taking something from within them, offering it to another, the other person receiving it, honoring it and then returning something from within them to the other..... and so the cycle went.  


It actually created an energy I could feel.  The atmosphere at Panera was something my bodily senses measured.  With each new exchange it became more and more charged until I could no longer pay attention to what I was reading.  I had to listen.



I looked across the aisle and noticed an older gentleman listening to another man at his table of three.  His head was tilted slightly and his eyes were intently focused on one man who was speaking.  I knew immediately that he was a good listener.  I could tell that he cared about what the other man was offering.  I could also tell that he didn't agree entirely, but that wasn't as highly detectable as was the way he was really listening to what one man wanted to verbalize to the other two.

It seems kind of strange that a good listener who wasn't even listening to me affected me so.  While watching him, something moved within me.  I realized at that moment how important it is for parents to teach their children to listen. 

Not only so they can focus on what their parents are trying to teach them or on being aware of dangerous situations... but so that they can engage life.  So that they can hear over the sound of the storm, within the whisper of a sigh and beneath an outburst of frustration.  

I hope I taught my children to listen well.  I did the best I knew how to do at the time.  That is why I like... I mean really like this grandma season.  I get a second chance at paying attention to little souls.  I get to tilt my head, and look intently into them when they speak.  I am not pressured with any other responsibilities at the moment.  My life has slowed down to no employer demands, only laundry one day a week, fewer groceries to buy and meals to prepare and absolutely no homework or parent-teacher conferences.  

12.  I am grateful for hearing what my body is feeling.

I hope today is a great part of your whole week.  I hope your body tells you something you should know.  I hope someone tilts their head and focuses on your every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment