Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ad Ons

In one of my furniture moving crazes, I put four shelves together to make what I call an information center.  I call it that because it houses my books, which are some of my main resources for inspiration and information.  It also holds the television which is where He-man gets his info.  He is not a book or Google kind of guy.  The History Channel, Discovery, ESPN and news are his go to places for gathering info.

(Sorry about the flash in the t.v.  I have since learned how to adjust light manually so as not to experience flash backs.) I don't know if you can tell from the above picture, but the tall shelf on the left is it's own unit.  The lower, longer shelf in the middle is it's own unit. And there are two shelves stacked on top of each other on the right. 

I mentioned to He-man that I would like to have another tall shelf like the one on the left.  A week later I had one.  Am I not married to the most amazing guy? 
Not only did he create a shelf identical to one he built ten years prior, he thought that I might like to have an architectural piece that would connect the two shelves, making them look like one intended unit.  He also added a top shelf to the middle section so that the television would sit higher, allowing me to place low furniture in front of the t.v. viewing area.
(There's that annoying flash again.) I have been toying with the idea of painting these shelves white for a number of years, but can't commit to covering up the beautiful oak.  It is a hazard of my generation - "one does not paint wood that has never been painted."  I thought I might try wallpapering the insides or using fabric to bring a lighter color to them.  Then I decided to stencil mat board and place it on the back of the shelves.  It took me a lot longer than I expected.
After I got the back of all the shelves covered, I thought it looked too busy.  So I stripped it from the middle shelf and left it on the taller outer units.
This is what it looks like without the center cornice piece.  Of course He-man made it so it could be removed if I ever want to change it up.  He made all the shelves so that they could be used together as one unit or as separate pieces.  I keep telling him that I could design and he could create flexible furniture. They would be pieces that could be assembled and reassembled to create different looks and accommodate different needs.
This is how the unit sits today in our home.  I don't plan on changing it any time soon... well maybe the chars.  They really look better in our bedroom.  Remember, they were are $8.00 purchase from Goodwill.  If I can find another pair He-man said he'd help me recover them for the living room. 

33. I m grateful for He-man.

I hope this Tuesday is even better than your Monday.  If you have been wanting to change something in your life, I hope you go at it and begin today.  I hope someone helps you, supports you and encourages you to do what it takes to make the changes you need to grow.
 Yaya

No comments:

Post a Comment