Friday, April 8, 2011

Feeling Guilty

Just look at those weeds!  Our neighbors must be getting ready to sign a petition to oust us from the housing addition.  The leaves are not raked away, the chickweed is flourishing and I am still finding other things to do besides working outside.  "Oh it's too windy, no use in raking.  I won't even be able to guide the leaves into a pile."  I rationalize.  Or else I get involved in some project inside the house.  Now don't misunderstand, I really enjoy working in the gardens, but when Spring arrives suddenly (and it is sudden in Oklahoma), I feel overwhelmed with the major mounds crouched into every nook and cranny possible.

 But I have found that if I focus on one blooming branch or if I allow myself to notice the shockingly bright  blossoms of the Azaela bush I planted last Spring, I don't even notice the leaves piled below.



And somehow or another, Mother Nature has a way of adorning herself in beauty whether I clean up my act or not.


The world still turns, Spring is sprung and I have still not removed Autumn's evidence.  But I am feeling much less guilty.  Actually, I am feeling no guilt at all.  Mother Nature is doing a fine job dressing herself.  Which means I can choose something else for the moment... so I choose a night with family.



                                 

THEY'RE HERE!

When ever our children and grandchildren come to visit the first thing they do is kick off their shoes.  Now I don't have any rules about shoes in the house even if Dr. Oz says we should remove those toxic carrying little demons.  And of course I would love to keep the carpet free of road kill and football dust... but after 37 years of kiddos, kiddos friends, pets and contractors, I have completely surrendered to the "whatever" policy in the carpet department.  My preferred choice is a home entirely clad in hardwood floors.  And someday we will be there.  But for now we are taking it one room at a time.






And for tonight... BRING ON THE PICTIONARY!







               


...Ashton is thinking



 .....Ashton is drawing.  Can you guess what it is?


hum, it could be... "student!'
                                "classroom"
                                "school"
  "homework" 
..... remember it's acttion
"COPYING"



Yeah!  One point for the girls!


Brock's turn to draw.     Is it a juggler ...a Harlem Globetrotter?  ... how about a circus performer?  Brock's eyes light up... "close he says." 
Papa shouts,"A CLOWN!"
A high five is exchanged as the boys rack up a point. 



Meanwhile Sims, our ten-month-old, inspects the bookshelf and chooses a perfect read.  Sacred Contracts by Carylon Myss.  It's rather heavy material, demanding interaction from the reader... but since he is a genius child I am sure he can handle it.

     But mom and inside baby (due June 16) are getting tired and say it's time to go home.

So the leaves remain blown against the patio door and I go to bed counting my blessings...

-1 the beauty of Mother Nature
-2 shoes piled on a hardwood floor
-3 artistic expressions
-3 learning to read
-4 incubating babies
-5 a home for family...

"zzzzzz.... zzzzzz......zzzzz'

5 comments:

  1. Love that you are writing a blog... It is so fitting for you!!!
    Great post... and even better perspective! Amazing how good life can be when you let go of expectations and guilt that comes w/ it. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashton had a suggestion for the girls room. All bright colors. PURPLE,YELLOW AND PINK.....You could also ask each granddaughter what they would like to see in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED tara's idea of asking each granddaughter for a little something that she would like in the room........ Me, the way I'm feeling today.... I would love a chocolate chandelier and that yummy edible wallpaper like in Willie Wonka. Yummy! Must be time for lunch. :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sis. Thank you so much for sharing yourself and your family with us. When I need to fill my tank I read a bit and then i am ready to put out some more fires. Thank you for the daily meditations. I will share them with.y boongroup. About that little girls room...... How about layering some different textures on the bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peggy,
    I think you should do the girls room in 50's & early 60's. Material that looks like it was on a 50's apron for curtains and maybe, i mean only maybe (not definately), do a quilt out of one each of the girls favorite shirt or blanket or something. The 50's & 60's styles can be so awesome and bright, I wish I could've experienced it first hand. Just remember this is a room that has to make YOU happy. The girls are going to be so excited about staying with YaYa they will not care if the room is all white and has a mattress on the floor. You make your house fun, not the house itself. You will be setting such a good example for the girls; they can do what makes them happy and they don't have to always give themselves away to make an infuence on people in their lives. DARE TO BE FEISTY!
    Love,
    Skye

    ReplyDelete