Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Letting Go


My oldest daughter had a science experiment due near the end of school before summer vacation.

It was a big part of her final science grade. She kept asking me, "Mom, what should I do? or, How do I do this???" 

I found myself all stressed out and trying to come up with an experiment for her.  NOT GOOD!!!
 
J.D. reminded me that she could do it on her own. My first thought was, "I know."

Then I thought, "If I know that she can do it on her own, then why am I stressed out over her experiment?" 

I needed to let go and let her do it.  Jeez....that was hard. 

But I did it.  I let her find her own experiment and from then on I became her cheerleader.

Silently I was praying that no matter what I would not jump in and help and that I would LET HER DO IT ALL ON HER OWN. 

She went upstairs to her room and 2 hours later came down pumped and soooo excited about what she had discovered.
She had decided to make a lava lamp.  She immediately went to work and she worked very hard. 

The day of her big presentation I took her to Starbucks. YUMMY!!! LOVE THAT PLACE (But I don't think that place loves my four rowdy children).  

We had coffee and chatted about the science experiment. She was extremely nervous about talking in front of the whole fifth grade. We got to school and set up her experiment. When it was time for me to leave, I could see that my daughter was confident and ready. 

But, I was a nervous wreck.  She was to present her experiment at 10 a.m.

I told her good luck and that I would be there after school to help her pack up.


That afternoon when I got back to the school I found her whole class standing in front of her experiment. 

She'd gotten 2nd place! I don't think I will ever forget the look on her face.  Although there was no sound, I heard her face screaming loud and clear, "MOM, I DID IT!"  

I thought, "You sure did. All by your self."
I realized that when I let go my daughter was able to step up and fly.  It was beautiful.  

We both learned something that day.  

Have the best day!!!!
 Tara

1 comment:

  1. Hardest thing for a parent, standing back and letting our "babies" succeed or fail.
    But, always giving them the space to figure it out, and being ready to offer hugs, whether joyful or sad, and encouraging to just keep trying.
    Congrats to Miss Sunshine!
    Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete