Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Unaware

Oh my goodness, oh my soul, I forgot to go to Bluebird and Sci-guy's end-of-the-year school program.  I had it in my brain and had even talked with he-man-hubby about going without him since he would be on his first night shift for the month. 
Bluebird
Sci-Guy

Yes, hubby is retired, but he got an offer from his former company to come back on a contract basis.  He works seven days a month.... three twelve hour nights on one week and four twelve hour days the next week.  It is usually toward the end of the month. 
Salmon, Cabbage and Broccoli.  Yummy dinner, huh?

When he works nights we eat dinner at 4:00 p.m.  When he works days we eat dinner at 6:30 p.m. and when he is not working we eat around 5:30 or 6:00 pm.

I have discovered that I have fallen into a predictable pattern with this retired life and when that pattern is adjusted in any way, I loose my mind for a while.  Not for long... just long enough to forget school programs and such.  Oh veh!






Mondays: free day
Tuesdays: Clarehouse
Wednesdays: Clean for BB
Thursdays: Meet with Spiritual Director
Fridays: free day
Sat and Sun are for whatever, usually home and yard maintenance, soccer or baseball games, babysitting or getting together with the fam.

Now unless I have a remodel or decorating job, that is what my week usually looks like.  This week I have committed to making and decorating a cake for my friend's mother's 90th birthday and to begin a kitchen cupboard redo for another friend.  So with those two extras and he-man beginning his night shift I got into the running-like-a-chicken with her head cut off mode.  This is NEVER a good place for me.  I definitely find myself  anywhere else but in the moment. 




And if you really want to test that "living in the moment" way of life try driving in late afternoon traffic!  I think there is no greater test than this.  Learning to "BE" right where you are when you are running late and find yourself stopped at a red light behind twenty other cars is the ultimate test of "Just Being".



Richard Rohr says that when he finds himself in that situation he asks himself this question, "Will I be any more happier on the other side of this intersection than I am on this side?"  He teaches that how you are happy with what is happening right now is normally how you will be happy in the next moment as well.






So today I am off to clean BB's 6000 square foot home and I have not been there for three weeks!  That means it may take me a bit longer than normal.  But I will try to "be" in every moment:  one with the 4 toilets - one with the large glass shower - one with the doggie dooh.  I will be happy in every moment.  This is my mantra.  No chicken legs today.

Thanks for listening.  May you have a great moment in every part of your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment