Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Unsuspecting Heros


I confess that I am an American Idol freak.  I love music, particularly performances.... like Broadway and musical theater.  Of course I am very partial to listening to my nephews play guitar, piano and sing, especially when sharing their original compositions.

Daddy Does the Blues
Poetry in Song
The Sweet Rebel  






For me American Idol is the new-age variety show.  As I child I grew up watching, Carol Burnett, Red Skelton, Dean Martin, Smothers Brothers, Ed Sullivan and my all-time favorite, Laugh In..  Wide-eyed Goldie Hawn was my idol.  I LOVED those nights in front of the telly with the family... lots of laughs and lots of popcorn.



American Idol revamped their show this year with two new judges and, what seems to me, a greater freedom for contestants to showcase their personal artistry.  I am blown away by the immense talent displayed on the stage each week.  I appreciate the judges positive comments while offering constructive criticism to help the contestants grow and manage their newly discovered fame.  My biggest pleasure though is seeing who Stephen Tyler really is.
The crazy wild Aerosmith singer

When I was a teen I wasn't a "hard rock" groupie.  I was caught up in the Motown wave and was a die-hard Diana Ross fan.  I remember hearing about Stephen Tyler as lead singer for Aerosmith and his addiction to heroin.  That's about all I heard of him in the media.... how hard he rocked and how wild he lived.  So when I heard that the wild, crazy singer of Aerosmith was going to be a judge on American Idol  I was shocked!

I should know by now that I don't know what I think I know.  Stephen has been a wonderful gift to my American Idol experience.  I think that my brain will forever hold the image of him bending down to lightly kiss the cheek of the girlfriend of a contestant who only months before would have walked gleefully hand-in-hand with her boyfriend to tryouts.  But an auto accident and severe brain-trauma confined her to a wheel chair in constant need of daily care.  She accompanied her boyfriend to American Idol tryouts because he was one of her primary care-givers.  When the head-wobbling young lady was wheeled into the tryout room where the judges were gathered, Stephen without pause, rose from his chair and almost ran to greet her, bending over her slumped body he nestled his mouth to her ear and said, "He sings so well because he sings to you."  I fell in love with Stephen Tyler that day. His wild heart and crazy comments have had one purpose... to build up another.  He makes me feel good and I look forward to watching American Idol not only because of the amazing raw talent, but because I get a piece of Stephen Tyler's heart as well.

I heard a story once about how a lady with an overflowing grocery cart noticed another woman in line behind her trying to balance a few items in her arms.  The woman with the full cart asked her if she would like to go ahead of her in line.  The woman with the items in her arms began to cry and said, "My family and I moved here three months ago from New Orleans.  We miss our friends.  The children miss their school and my husband works long hours.  I miss him.  Today when I woke up I said, 'Okay God, this is the day I'm asking for a sign.  Show me some kind of a sign that we are suppose to be in this town.  Other wise, I am making plans to move back to New Orleans, home or no home, job or no job.'  Looking directly into the eyes of the woman with the full cart, she heaved a big sigh and said, "YOU are my sign."

When the woman with the full cart finally made it to the cashier, the cashier told her, "Lady you just made my day!"

The woman with the full cart was moved to tears.  The woman seeking a sign was moved to tears.  And the cashier was moved to tears.

It has been determined that performing an act of kindness increases dopamine levels in the brain, reduces blood pressure and eliminates toxins (sometimes through the tears ducts) in the body.  But this is the real mind-blower......Not only does this happen for the one extending the kind act, but for the one receiving it and for any one else witnessing it.

No wonder Stephen Tyler makes me feel good as I sit in my living room watching him build up those young, nervous, sometimes doubtful American Idol contestants.  My physical health is actually improving.  All because Stephen Tyler is a crazy wild lover of humankind!  His spontaneous (censored) comments leave me laughing and grateful that I can witness who he really is through the same media who told me who he was not.

Be good to yourselves.... Be kind to each other.... And tune into American Idol tonight on Fox at 7:00 p.m.







1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more about Steven Tyler. When I hear his music now I smile.

    ReplyDelete