Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I Finally Did It

Mid May and I just now cleared all the fall leaves from the garden beds.  I did it! 

As they say in Oklahoma, "it's fixing to rain," so the planting will have to wait until tomorrow.

But I will sleep well tonight, feeling good about getting the gardens ready for their new flowers.  We have been in our home for ten years and have been working on the landscaping all ten of it.  I don't know much about gardening. The trial and error method seems to be my choice of education..  I have discovered what grows best on what corner, or end or side of the yard and have moved bushes, trees, shrubs - you name it- at least four times.  The bushes and perennials feel at home now, needing little more company than a few annuals for color or contrast.  This year I am going all white.  Don't know if it will accent the beds or simply disappear.  There's that trial and error method again.  Oh well, the begonias are purchased and eager to occupy their new digs.  

At least the bunnies look happy with my decision to go white.  My dad gave me these darling bunnies when he moved from his home to a retirement villa. 

Although he had to give up his beautifully terraced back yard garden, he couldn't give up gardening.  His patio holds pots of petunias, rosemary, tomatoes and other little blooming beauties.  There is something about getting dirt under one's nails, thorns in one's hands and sitting amongst the home of little critters that soothes the soul.  I like watching buds grow and burst into blossoms.  I like taking a patch of brown dusty ground and softening it with green growing things.  I like watching butterflies hover, bees swirl and squirrels scamper. I like living in the air.  It feels free and comfortable - lived in - like an old pair of slippers.




Maybe Dennis says it better.

Have a good day.  Stop for a moment to take in some fresh air, look at a flower's blossom, or watch a butterfly gather its breakfast and think to yourself, "It's a wonderful world."


1 comment:

  1. Aunt Peggy,
    It seems when I have a "bummer" day that if I get on here it makes me smile and my "bummers" go away. Thanks for all that you write. Love that you can make me smile from so far away! Hope you have a great day!
    Love,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete