Friday, December 30, 2011

Hurray For Recovery!!

He-man and I went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie.  Neither of us had seen the first one and I don't normally like to see a sequel without having viewed the first movie.  But I had heard that this was good and He-man and my schedules were free... so I threw caution to the wind, broke out of my rut and saw number two BEFORE number one. 
Living large, huh?

I have to tell you, it's been a while since I have enjoyed a movie for simple entertainment sake.  The writing was engaging and cleaver.  The cinematography was amazing.  The director had either gotten some old vintage reels or was able to reproduce the era so splendidly that I felt as if I had traveled back in time.  There were shots in slow motion that made me lean forward in my seat to take in the view.  The humor was high class, crafty and not the least bit smutty.  

I wasn't as fond of the gun-shooting scenes, but I was spared graphic, bloody, violent overkill which allowed me to hold it as art more than out of control darkness.

The way it was directed and staged was kind of like Wild Wild West meets James Bond during Murder on the Orient Express.

But the most impressive of all for me was watching Robert Downing Jr. do what he was born to do.  He was fantastic!  So funny, so cleaver, I couldn't help but sit in my chair and offer up thanks for his recovery.  

It wasn't that long ago that he was struggling to stay clean enough to make it through a filming session.  Addiction had him by the throat and it looked as if he was going down. 

He not only managed to escaped its grasp, he came alive! I could see it in his eyes - the no doubt, full throttle ahead, life!  

That makes me very happy, extremely grateful and considerably more hopeful for others who might find themselves in addiction's clutch.

Just wanted to share my joy.   

44. I am grateful for open schedules.

I hope your Friday is a lead in to a great weekend.  I hope you get an opportunity to sit beside someone you really like and enjoy the scenery.  I hope you see something today that makes you want to share the joy.
Yaya

1 comment:

  1. LOVED the movie... FUNNY, EXCITING, and FEELGOOD! Very well written critique... make me want to see it again :)

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete