Thursday, December 29, 2011

Are You My Dad?

He-man's niece is a single mom, raising a biracial son in a small rural community.  She is the gal that keeps us connected through emails, texts, Christmas cards and pictures, marking each new phase of growth that her little guy enters.  

I admire He-man's niece for a number of reason, but most especially for single parenting.  I think that is one of the toughest jobs on the planet.  Of course she has a fantastic support system of family and friends.  A little quirky maybe, but very supportive.  (Hee, hee)

One day He-man's niece and her son were shopping for a field trip lunch in their small town grocery when they bumped into a man on the bread aisle.  

Noticing the man's dark colored skin, her son stood stone still while he executed a full body visual scan beginning at the top of the man's head and slowly moving down to his feet.  With wide-eyed wonder, the little guy uttered, "Are you my dad?"  

He-man's niece was at a total loss for words, but mustered an apologetic response.  The man looked down at her son and said, "Sorry Bubba.  It's not me."

Deflated, the little guy hung his head and walked away.  Niece apologized again, as the sympathetic man added, "Just so you know, there are seven more of us in this store."

He-man's niece quickly caught up with her son and ushered him out the door.

*************************************

This story tickled my funny bone and moved my heart.  Makes me think how important it is to feel like we belong.... not only that we are accepted.... but that we actually belong in this world.  Regardless of our skin tone or texture, nose length, athletic ability, agility, likability or skill set  - we belong.  We belong to something greater than only our small world.  We belong to each other.   

Although not his biological father, maybe in an unexplainable, mysterious, divine way the man in the store was not someone other than the little guy's father either.


43. I am grateful for wonder and mystery.


I hope this day is kind to you.  I hope you unexpectedly bump into someone who lets you know that you belong.  I hope mystery comes a callin'.

2 comments:

  1. ahhh the innocence of a child. Thank you for the post. Your blog always starts my day off with a smile and an over whelming sence of peace.

    Love ya!
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like I learn some of the best lessons in life from children. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete