Saturday, August 6, 2011

He-Man's At It Again

I saw something on television the other morning and said to he-man, "That is what we need in that blank space over there," moving my eyes toward the wall in our living room.  He grunted something and that was that.

Thirty minutes or so later He-man spoke, "How tall would you want it?  Would you put it on the upper level or the lower?"

As if a no time had passed since I'd first mentioned the old ladder I'd seen on TV, dimensions and color and placement were discussed between us for the next twenty minutes.  Then that was that.

A few hours later He-man said, "Do you want to go to the lumber yard with me to get some two by fours for your ladder?"

Of course I said, "Yes."  And away we went.





The rest of the day He-man was in his garage measuring, sawing and fitting boards together.


I meant to take pictures of the building process.... but forgot.  I can't seem to remember those before shots.  I think I am so excited to get my hands dirty that I jump right in before thinking to click off a few frames of the undressed project.







I set up a refinishing station in our living room and quickly changed the new, smoothly planned two by fours into an old, used, painter's ladder.

Tada!  There she stands.  A ten foot outdoor ladder on the inside of our house.

I can reach the books in our bookshelf so she isn't a library ladder.  I already finished painting the walls so she isn't going to help me reach any peaks. What is she then? 

Designers would call her an architectural element.  I say she is filler.  She simply fills the negative space on our long, tall living room wall.  I might hang something from her rungs.  Then she will be a place to add texture or color. I don't know yet..






We will have to spend some time together before we share accessories.



But you must admit.  My He-man is something!


Someday I will take pictures of everything around our house that he has created in his garage-slash-wood shop.







Speaking of garages, I forgot to post Red's garage on yesterdays blog featuring Red and City Gals San Rafael home.  He too loves to work with his hands creating new spaces and bringing life to old ones... like the green vintage truck in this picture.




I hope you have a great Saturday..... one that will motivate you to use your creative talents or be inspired by another.  I hope you listen to the still small voice in you that gives you courage to tackle a challenge and feel gratitude for the results.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, can we borrow your he-man sometime?
    Ev could use some help at his place!
    Love the ladder.... maybe a quilt hanging on it would look nice?
    Really, when are you and that handy guy coming out!?!

    ReplyDelete