Tuesday, August 23, 2011

In Support of The Arts

My oldest daughter, TJ, is a teacher in Laramie, Wyoming.  She had worked part time last year, but accepted a full time position beginning this Fall.  He-man-hubby and I spent ten days with them the first part of August to help with childcare while TJ attended daily training sessions.  She asked me to help convert their formal dining room into an art room for her three girls.  It is the only room in their new home that does not have wall to wall carpeting, therefore being the best option for paint and markers and chalk dust.


Today I want to take you through the transformation from dining to art.  Are you ready?  Let's go!



Here is the room during the transformation process. Once again, I forgot to shoot a beginning photo.

Notice the faux painting on the wall, the drapes and the light fixture.  All are fixin' to change.  The large black stripe on the wall is the first of three coats of magnetic paint.  It is stinky stuff and does not clean up with soap and water.  You may want to take this into consideration if you are thinking of applying magnetic paint.






I painted another magnetic block on the opposite wall and covered it with chalk board paint for spontaneous expressions and the always necessary love notes.













I took an old dresser from the corner of TJ's guest room, ran over it with medium grit sandpaper, wiped it down with tack cloth and hit it with two coats of black satin spray paint.

















I did the same with the drawers, but painted them different colors with gloss spray paint.

















I used the original drawer pulls but painted them and then placed them on the drawers in contrasting colors.





I sewed two panels of brightly printed fabric to cover the windows.  I did not want billowy fabric flowing onto the floor or in the way of paint splatters from the easel or adding obstruction to walk ways in the room.








He-man hung dog bottom hooks (also IKEA) next to the chalk board to house chalk sticks.  We drilled a hole in a galvanized bucket, strung a ribbon through the hole, tied it with a knot, leaving just enough length to act as a loop to hang the dog's tail.  We used three different colored bottoms for the three different girls who will use this room.


I took a variety of old frames that TJ had and a few that we picked up at a garage sale, removed the glass and painted them with the same glossy spray paint that I used on the drawers of the dresser.  Some frames I left as they originally were in their white or black finish.  I attached them to the wall that had the magnetic undercoating and hung the girls art with magnets.  TJ can change pictures as often as the girls produce new ones without reassembling frames or putting holes in the wall.

I guess the stinky application of magnetic paint was worth the trouble.  It made the room the art display center that TJ wanted it to become.


Below is the finished product.  A fun IKEA lamp sheds light on two rectangular IKEA tables that we placed together to form a square and can easily be moved to any configuration or even to another room to accommodate guests when they have a crowd for dinner or parties.


I painted the dresser against the left wall with the same paint colors as the dresser in the corner.  TJ's black book shelves flank each side of the green dresser for much needed storage of books, papers and art supplies.  I painted the panel on the dresser with more chalk board paint for more love notes.  TJ had the turquoise chairs and we added the white ones from IKEA.  All the chairs are formed plastic for easy clean up.

From formal dining to artful expression.  I can't wait to see what new work adorns the walls on my next visit.  Call me if you need a transformation in your home.  All you have to do is feed me, water me and give me a comfy place to sleep.

I hope this day brings you bright pops of joy.  I hope you have an opportunity to experience great art.  I hope you receive a love note and if not.... I hope you write one.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I missed you and your daily blogs. Maybe we can work on you not missing a day again. :) You are so talented!! Love you lots. Hugs to you and Uncle Pat.

    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. KJ, you are a great supporter. Thanks for visiting my world.

    ReplyDelete