Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Quick Fix

I was cooking breakfast yesterday morning when my cell phone rang.  It was He-man.  He had gone for a walk around the neighborhood and he was calling to let me know that there was a garage sale down the street from our house.  Now I ask you, what kind of husband understands his wife's remake-it addiction to the extent that he tips her off when junk is up for grabs? 

I turned the stove off immediately, grabbed up my purse and headed for the car.  Even though the sale was within walking distance I took the car 'cause it has a trunk.  And this girl knows how to pack a trunk!  (remember the Ikea adventure?)

I rolled up to the garage sale and found a spot to park among the other early bird snoopers.  I knew the lady hosting the sale and spent most of my time visiting, but still managed to snag a few items.  Just as I was adding up the damage, He-man sauntered in on his way home from walking.  He added a few more treasures to the pile.  I paid with the last bit of cash I had in my wallet, loaded the trunk and headed home with the loot.
  


This book shelf was made by He-man eighteen years ago.  It was made for a specific corner in a specific home but has lived in almost every corner and nearly every wall of our current home.  He-man made it with adjustable shelves because he knows how much I like to move things.  Smart guy!  

  
So that is just what I did.  I moved a few shelves to make room for my newest decor jewelery.  I added a bird picture, globe, small stack of books and a turquoise medallion.  I moved some other books and eliminated a few pictures. Not anything too different, just enough to get my fix.

Note the reindeer on top.  That little darling was a find from a previous garage sale outing with Pleasure. I had visions of painting him some bright color and placing him on the mantel.  But he was too big, so he headed to the high country.  I have not decided if he will get a new top coat or not yet.  In the meantime he watches over us and I know that he is there if I need another redo fix.  





Here's a closer view of the changes.  

Lovely retro cast plaster bird painting.

Decorating with globes is a new trend and I guess I have fallen prey.


The medallion was so small that I needed another picture to show you the detail.  Did you notice the circles on the book binding, the circle of the globe and the circular medallion?  All relate in color and shape but each have a different texture and dimension to add to the mix.  This is what makes a grouping appealing.

Thanks for visiting.  I didn't even show you the chairs I nabbed for the dining table remake.  Oh well, I'll save that for later.

****************************

3. I am grateful that my husband finds pleasure in my quirky obsessions. 

I hope that spontaneity calls you out of your normal routine.    I hope something old transforms into something new.  I hope someone gets your madness and loves you because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment