Monday, April 4, 2011

Nursery for Number Ten!

The nursery for grandchild number ten is complete.... well it's not solely for number ten whom we have been told will be named Joee (pronounced joie).  It is also for grandchild number nine who is already here and named Sims (my maiden name).  Sims is ten months old and his sister, Joee, will join him on June 16.  Yes, they will be a year apart.  So what better way to get to know each other than to share a bedroom, right?  Sims will occupy the dark expresso crib and Joee has her feminine little spot in the white Jenny Lyn crib.  It was a challenge to create a space that was not gender specific and would grow with the children since mom will have precious little time to paint walls and  change curtains once she starts taking care of two babies.  There are already two other children in the house and although they are older (10 and 9) they occupy a lot of time with activities, sleep overs, play dates and homework.   Mom and Dad are very busy as many of you can relate.

With a tight budget we had to make what we already had work for us.  We cut down a sofa table and made it into a bench. I covered a piece of foam I had in my closet with brown burlap and trimmed it with ribbon I found in my sewing basket.  I knitted two small pillows in the rooms accent colors of turquoise and apple green and embellished them with embroidery and ball fringe.  I made another pillow out of a remnant grain bag and embellished it with the same ribbon and fringe.  The adorable owl I purchased at "Sweet Pickles" in Laramie, Wyoming while on a trip to visit my daughter.




little girls have to have a touch of pink
Over each bed I added a verse from an old rhyme my grandmother taught me.  You might know it.. "Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails, that's what little boys are  made of.  Sugar and spice and all things nice, that's what little girls are made of. "  At the head of each crib I painted an accent stripe and enhanced it with a monogram of the letter of each of their first names.  S for Sims and J for Joee.


I painted an old dresser apple green, made a dresser scarf out of the left-over brown burlap and added thrift store accessories, like a vintage music box, porcelain bunnies, an old coke bottle crate, gold rimmed oval frames (which will hold one pink foot print and one blue foot print after baby girl arrives), a sewing drawer hung on its side and a pair of cowboy boot salt and pepper shakers.  The painting is an original done by a friend of my daughter's-in-law.


The carpet in the bedroom is a dark green and was not in the budget to replace so I found two small rugs, sewed them together and embroidered a large flower in the corner.  They don't cover the green carpet completely but only cost $10.00 and add a bit of fun.

While I am happy to have it finished I will miss seeing my totally adorable, smart, amusing and amazing grandson every day.  He would stand in one of the cribs and watch me as I worked in his soon-to-be nursery.  He didn't fuss or cry.  All he required was a few unexpected "boos!" from grandma and he would burst out laughing.  I hope this rooms keeps him smiling and welcomes Joee with a special hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment