Monday, May 30, 2011

Letters Are Not a Thing of the Past





I got a letter from Puppet (grand daughter # 6) the other day. 




I had sent the three Wyoming grand daughters a package containing note books envelopes, stamps and sticky notes.  I went to the UPS Store to send it off and paid more for the shipping than the contents.  Guess I will ride it out and stand in line at the Post Office next time.  So long UPS!



Puppet wrote the letter entirely by herself and for a three-year-old it contained some good-to-know details.

I'll post a few lines so you can enjoy her message as well.

It began:  Dear Yaya,  All is well with the Wyo Fiveo.  My sisters do not go to school anymore.  They are on summer bacation and  mommy doesn't teach at school either. She is on bacation too.   Next year I am going to Puddleducks while mommy works all day at the school.  Puddleducks has fun toys in the basement.

Thank you for the notebook and stamps.  I like to write.  I like to draw.  I like to play with puzzles and stuffed animals and babies.  I love to play outside and I really like to read. 

You have tormatoes at you house?  Mommy said it was very, very windy.  Did you hide?  Did it leak on your onions?  (I think she was a bit confused between tornadoes and tomatoes)

I love you.

Signed (and signed and signed), "Puppet"

And I thought the art of letter writing was dead.  Honestly, I am grateful for Puppet's letter.  The three grand daughters in Wyoming do not like long phone conversations (a sentiment their Yaya shares), so I don't get the current scoop on things like I do with the grand children who live in Oklahoma.  A letter now and then makes the distance seem shorter and I also get to read it again and again whenever I find myself missing their special flavor.





Puppet keeps me laughing most of the time.  She dives head first into whatever is going on with her two older sisters.  She doesn't know that she is not old enough to do what they are doing.
As far as she is concerned age has no limits. 









 
She has a large vocabulary and understanding of words and concepts (her mother is a teacher, after all) but delivers them in a three-year-old brogue that is captivating and fun.


I don't know what news will come to me from Puppet's next letter.  All I know is she is growing fast and furious and I am grateful to catch a glimpse of her playful, confident spirit whenever I can.


I hope you get an opportunity this day to be in touch with someone whose personality makes you smile.  I hope you get to be in the presence of play and even join in yourself.  Life travels swiftly and slowly, depending on where you are in its journey.  I hope you are in it fully, whatever it's pace, and that you find an unexpected joy in your mailbox.




1 comment:

  1. Letters are fun, but texting is funner. I bet those smart little muffins can text. Try it and also send pictures via phone. All well here. Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete