Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Big Sister's Birthday

Yesterday was my sister's birthday. She is the oldest by two years. 







We were very close growing up, playing house (she was always the mom), 

and playing school (she was always the teacher), 
 


coloring, 


building forts in the sand box, 





sharing the night time bath 

and sleeping in the same room.


As we began to grow into our adolescence, so did the sibling rivalry -- my sister wanting to declare her independence and me wanting to follow in her cool shadow for as long as possible.



I would beg to go with her and her friends and she would refuse.  If I complained long and loud enough mom would make her take me along.  Sister D didn't like it, but she complied with mom's decree and off we would go to the park or a friend's house or the library.


As we grew older and naturally developed our own circle of friends I no longer wanted to follow my sister around like a puppy looking for someone to throw them a stick.  And even though we shared a bedroom, we didn't share clothes or shoes or homework.


As I look back on those days, I realize how little I knew.  Today, I can't imagine not having Sister D to depend upon, tell stories to, or laugh with.  She is one of the most generous people I know... always thinking of others, sending cards, little gifts or making something special for someone else. 

When He-man and I were in our early years of marriage we moved to Sister D's town with no job and no home.  She and her husband invited us in to their house where we lived for the next nine weeks.  
Sister D Husband and First Born.     Check out the tall hair!!

Sister D had two small children and we had three.  She and her husband gave their bedroom to He-man and I.  

The five kids all bunked together in the bedroom upstairs.   

Sister D and her husband slept across the floor in a bedroom without a door that literally opened to the bedroom full of children.  Now that's generosity, don't you agree?

My older sister lives 900 miles away and we see each other not nearly as much as I would like.  But when we are together it's as if we take up right where we left off.... telling funny stories about our families, reporting what great books we are reading and fixing all the world's problems. 

I encourage all young mothers with siblings who compete or fuss or do what most young siblings do, to take heart.  In time, moving with the natural course of things, your children will grow to appreciate each other.  And even more than that they may even develop an unconditional friendship that remains beyond all else that constantly changes.

9. I am grateful for children who fuss and fight and come out hugging.

I hope this day brings you fond memories.  I hope you call your brother or sister or friend because you can. I hope you have a friendship that rolls easy and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment