Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Brats and Beer Cheddar Chowder


Ole' Mister North Wind blew in last Sunday, dropping our temps from the 70's to the 30's.  He-man saw it as an invitation to relax inside, catching the game on the telly.  I saw it as an opportunity to try another soup recipe.  I thought I'd stray from our usual fiber enriched, vegetable packed version and go for something a manly-man, stuck-in-your-recliner, football fanatic would enjoy. 


Brats and Beer Cheddar Chowder



2 Tbp Butter

I med. onion, chopped

I med carrot, coarsely shredded

3 lg shallots, chopped

1 14 oz can or vegetable broth, or 1 ¾ cup of vegetable stock

1/3 cup of milk or half and half

1 tsp caraway seeds

¼ tsp black pepper

10 oz of aged cheddar (sharp cheddar)

4 cooked polish sausage or bratwurst

1 12oz can of beer or bottle of ale



Melt butter over medium heat in large pan

Add onions, carrots and shallots

Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes
In a jar combine broth and flour and shake til smooth 
(I didn't have broth or stock so I dissolved a low sodium bullion cube in water and then whisked in the flour)


Stir into the onion and carrot mixture

Add milk seed and black pepper

Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly
Gradually add cheese

Reduce to low

Cook stirring frequently until cheese melts

Do not boil



Stir in brats and beer

Heat through

Do not boil



I served it with french bread and fruit salad.  It was yummy, tasting a bit like fondue to me.  I didn't have bratwurst but found some little smokies in the fridge.  I used them which I would not do again as they made it too salty for our taste.  It would be good without any meat in my opinion.

Give it a try and see what you think.   If you need to eat gluten free, simply substitute the flour for a thickening agent you can use. 


22. I am grateful for Sundays that really are days of rest.


I hope your day motivates you to do something out of your normal routine.  I hope you like the results and if you don't, I hope you learn what to do different.  I hope your night wraps you in pleasant dreams and content sleep.

Yaya

No comments:

Post a Comment