Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

It is tradition in our home to serve Monkey Bread on Thanksgiving and Christmas morn.  This year I wanted to change it up a bit.

Imagine that?  Me wanting to change something.  Inconceivable thought, huh?

Originally I was taught to make monkey bread by my mom, using home-made bread dough, melted butter and a cinnamon sugar mix.  But through the years it has been revamped to use pop-open biscuits in place of dough and brown sugar in place of white.  

This holiday I switched it a wee, little bit by replacing the biscuits in a can with cinnamon rolls in a can.

You will need a greased bunt pan or angel food cake pan, two cans of cinnamon rolls, a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon, a cup and a half of melted butter, a good cup of coffee and an issue of Cooking Light - which you will not open but will look honorable on your counter.

Open the cinnamon rolls, cut them in fourths and drop them in the pan of melted butter.  Coat all pieces generously.

Using a slotted spoon transfer the rolls from the melted butter to a bowl where you have mixed together a cup and a half of brown sugar with two teaspoons of ground cinnamon.
Arrange the coated pieces around the center of the greased bunt pan, building layers until all the cinnamon rolls have been used.
I had some melted butter left over after all the pieces were coated and I couldn't resist pouring it over the rolls before popping them in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.

When the timer goes off on your oven and you have lifted the center roll for the flake check, invert the pan onto a serving tray and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the caramel syrup to run over the rolls.  Remove the pan and serve warm.

I served them with fresh fruit and after everyone had eaten their fill, I placed the left over fruit in the fridge and washed the tray, although it hardly looked dirty as it has been licked clean.

24. I am grateful for the aroma of bread baking in the oven.

I hope your day begins with a sweet hello.  I hope you can switch the way you have been thinking of a resent hurt a wee little bit.  I hope when you rest your head on your pillow tonight, you can give thanks for the sweet aroma of your life.

Yaya


No comments:

Post a Comment