Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Up In Smoke

Yesterday, I went to pick up Middle One's kids from school.  Before I left I had browned some hamburger on the stove to use in a dish for dinner.  He-man and I were discussing our plans for kid exchange and about a project he was helping me with for the Christmas Gathering (yesterday's post).  

I checked the pots on the stove, turned the dial to off, kissed He-man good bye and hopped in the car to pick up Clone.  That was at 2:00 p.m.

When we returned home at 4:30 p.m. our house was filled with smoke.  I could smell the burn the minute the garage door opened.  I knew the smell exactly.  It was burned food.  Unfortunately I have done this before.  I put a pot of beans on the stove and went outside to work in the garden, not knowing how fast beans absorb water.  The beans burned to the pan and the house smelled awful.  That was bad, but yesterday was near disaster.  I COULD HAVE BURNED THE HOUSE DOWN!!!

As near as we can figure, I must have turned the dial to a higher setting instead of off. Yikes!

He-man set up fans waved vinegar filled dish towels around, filled bowls with baking soda... but NOTHING has worked.  Our house smells horrible.  When I would roll over in bed last night, I would awake from the lingering burn smell.  I fear we have smoke damage.

Do any of you have a solution (aside from repainting and reupholstering) for getting rid of smokey odor?

19. I am grateful to still have a home.

I hope your day is steady and sure.  I hope you can focus on what is important.  I hope your house welcomes you in tonight with the sweet smell of home.
Yaya

1 comment: