Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Our 5k run...........The Orphan Run

The Orphan Run sprung from the heart of a 14 year old boy after visiting Uganda on a mission trip. He was so taken back by the horrible living conditions of the Ugandan people that he wanted to help in any way he could.   And he did.

He organized a 5K run to raise money for orphan care in Uganda.  The recent run we participated in raised over one hundred thousand dollars.  I can't even tell you how many people attended. 

This was my second run and Sunshine and Little B's first. Sunshine is very competitive.  Little B just goes with the flow.  And I'm dead center. 
Before the race I told the kids that we had to get timers. That was all Sunshine needed to hear.  She was ready to fly after that. 

B kept asking, "Mom, can we just walk?" 

My goal was to finish and jog the whole thing. 

If you have not ever taken your children on a organized run ....seriously try it.  It was fun.  At one point we ran by a Sonic where B said, "Mom, can I get a cheeseburger?:     LOL

Sunshine passed us.  B was still walking, jogging, sprinting, and talking.  He told me that he was going to blast off when we were close to the finish line.  And he did.  We finished in 34 minutes. 

While I was running I couldn't help but think about what we were running for.  I thought about my sister and brother-in-law who are adopting a little orphan girl from China. We have been waiting for her for over a year now.  I can't wait to meet her, and make her hair bows, and watch her play with all her cousins at our family get-togethers. 

Although Cindy couldn't run in the race because of an injury,  I know that she is more than ready to run after the little girl who will soon be her own.

Have a blessed day!!!!! 

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment