Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mornings and Empty Tricycles

Our three grand daughters from Wyoming stayed with us over Spring break in March.  We had a blast doing as much as we could fit into each day.... and some days that wasn't much, but we still had a blast!  I especially loved the mornings when I'd hear something stirring in the bedroom and slowly one by one the hair-matted beauties would make their grand entrance down the runway of our hallway into our living room.  Sleep still present in their eyes, blankets clutched near their faces, they'd come snuggle beside me on the sofa.  They weren't ready to talk yet and we'd spend time touching each other in silence.  The birds would sing us into the morning and I could smell last nights slumber softly escaping tiny parched lips.  It was the BEST time of the day.  Then we'd turn on Max and Ruby.  Now I have nothing against Max and Ruby.  I just want more silent snuggling.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I don't always get what I want... especially when competing with Max and Ruby.


Molly, the three-year-old was given a small out-grown tricycle, handed down from cousin Eli.  Although we weren't home much to ride it, when we were she would scoot up and down our patio on the red and blue trike like she had owned it for months.  I don't have any outside toys for the grand kids so it was great to see her stay in one area of the back yard for a good amount of time (much easier for old people to keep tabs on the fast and furious young ones).


One day after the three girls had been gone for a week or more, I walked by our patio door and notice the little trike.  It remained in the same place Molly had left it, only it had no Molly on it.  It was raining and droplets had gathered on the handle bar like big fat tears.  I thought, "Oh my, even the earth cries when Molly is gone.

I love having thisTIME as a grand mother to really notice, feel and be with all the joys and sorrows of the children I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment